Working is such a vital part of our lives. Our jobs provide us with a sense of importance, artistic expression and purpose. They allow us to use our intellect and our innate talents to assist and connect with others in variety of wonderful ways. Our profession brings us in contact with people whom we might not otherwise ever have an opportunity to interface with. Individuals, who, if we will permit them to do so, will teach us valuable lessons about camaraderie and, what it means to be part of a team of accomplished professionals.
Our work also offers us extraordinary opportunities for learning through numerous social and active hands-on experiences. Every, single day, whether, we realize it or not, we are exposed to something brand new. Just think of it, if we entertain the notion of using work for more than just a way to pay our expenses, and, in its place allow it to be a venue of intense interest, it can enrich us in priceless ways. All we have to do is just be extra attentive to what we see, hear, and do.
Some of us are extremely fortunate, when we first start out in the field, we are presented with internships designed to acquaint us with all the subtle nuances of the work and that can give us a platform with which to professionally develop ourselves. Internships are one of the best ways for us to find our sense of direction, identify our special talents and recognize our unique aptitudes. For those of us who did not have that advantage, it is hard to imagine, how fantastic it must be to come right out of school and be taken under someone’s wing and mentored. Working alongside some of the most progressive professionals in the beauty business, I am certain would be nothing short of enthralling. We can only dream of what it would be like, on a day-to-day basis, to have someone who would be attuned with our struggles as a newbie in the industry. A professional who would help us master all the “never tried techniques” and, all-the-while, cheer us on so we could slowly build up our confidence. What a beneficial and rewarding experience that would be. We would surely discover, from the onset, to some of our amazement, that our contribution was truly going to be something really significant to the field.
Some of the obvious rewards internship can offer us:
- We can learn more.
- Use creativity and problem solving skills
- Apply theories learned to real life treatment situations.
- Become more savvy about functions
- Test our talents in the workplace.
- Investigate different work cultures and broaden our choices.
- Explore other career-related skills we might not have been aware of.
- Discover transferable skills that would be applicable.
- Strengthen social skills.
- Develop quick thinking rationale.
- Find out what it’s like to work in a spa, a salon or any number of clinical environments.
- Enhance and strengthen our CV’s.
- Make future contacts to acquire employment.
- Establish a bridge between getting out of school and beginning work.
- Stimulate new interests (additional academic courses) by being exposed to new procedures.
- Gain an increased awareness of our personal qualities and values as they apply.
Copyright©2010 All right reserved – Victoria L. Rayner
For More Information on the Topic –
Older Workers Taking on Internships
Quick Tips on How to Find an Internship
Interning in the Fashion Industry
How to Get an Internship