I was working on a project over the weekend and I came across some stored files with some articles I had long forgotten I had written. I struggle myself with issues related to my associations with women and I realize that in speaking with other females, they do too. I am sharing a portion of my article that I hope will have some merit for you. I know it was helpful to me today as, it is easy to lose site of the importance of our professional friendships and especially when feel others have lost site of their importance too.
The way you see women in your work environment will directly affect your attitude toward them. It is easier to get along with women in the workplace when you understand their behaviors and the reasons behind what they say and what they do. Keep this information readily available and refer to it whenever needed and please pass it on. Use it to interpret the actions of your female peers and to adjust your reactions to them. You will find it extremely valuable in presenting another point of view. When you reframe the situation you change the meaning of the experience. Improve your working relationships with women by considering the following:
- Professional women have overly high expectations of themselves
- Professional women are more devastated by failure than men
- Professional women who appear to want power are really after support and cooperation
- Professional women do not want to dominate; they want to influence and guide
- Professional women have difficulty coming across as competent as they really are and will often play down their career achievements.
- Professional women on the average have superior verbal abilities to men
- Professional women are more adept at imagery than men. Paint colorful sentences to illustrate your thoughts when communicating with them.
- Professional women in management positions like to be thought of as persons who possess good judgment
- Professional women resent invasion of their personal space and react strongly to the intrusion of their territory
- Professional women hate to feel obligated
We need to think of our female colleagues as friends, but realize, too, the wonder of professional friendships and how it is important that it works both ways. When the bonds between professional women are truly authentic they can do nothing more than empower one another by providing a solid platform for which to honor each other and prove allegiance. This is paramount to ensure our professional progress. If you have issues with women in your workplace you must strive to wipe the slate clean. Allow yourself to rise above the pettiness that seperates us and weakens our position. Think what this means and how vital it is that we remain united. As we reach out and bring women into our inner professional circles we strengthen our ties with them and widen our thinking, thereby, reinforcing the span of our influence.